Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bob Pulgino 6 posts 26 karma points
    May 13, 2010 @ 05:26
    Bob Pulgino

Changing DataTypes after content has been poured

Hi -

I'm having fun learning umbraco (4.0.3), in the middle of my first deployement and I find that I need to change a specific datatype used for a particular property in a document type from a TextBox Multiple to a Richtext Editor. Not a problem (I hope) except that we've already poured a lot of content using this document type.

Can I make this change, and if I do, will all this content be deleted? ... my hope is that the content will remain and all the text previously entered into the Textbox Multiple for this property will simply be displayed in the Richtext Editor and will simply need styling.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    May 13, 2010 @ 05:48
    Aaron Powell

As long as the database type doesn't change you wont have a problem.

TextBox Multiple and the RTE both use ntext so you should be fine (but always back up first :P).

You may have to review the formatting on your pages as the RTE will store it in full markup where as it wont be stored with that in the TextBox Multiple. I think that when it returns the data it'll just return the raw string, so if you'd done your own HTML formatting it should be maintained.

• Bob Pulgino 6 posts 26 karma points
    May 15, 2010 @ 21:14
    Bob Pulgino

Thanks form the response, slace - that's what i was hoping for!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft