Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• horsted 74 posts 136 karma points
    May 15, 2010 @ 10:07
    horsted

Multiply instances of childnodes

Not sure this is the right place in the forum, but at least it's related to my users’ ui :-)

I admin a site which over time has gotten more information and menu items making it rather chaotic, so I wanna restructure and add another hierarchal layer and use mega-menus for better overview.

The problem is that some of the existing nodes will have to appear in two of the mega-menus, so i'm unsure of how to do this the best way regarding 'a natural sitemap', SEO and not having to update the same node two different places. Anyone have had this problem before or some thoughts on how to solve this best possible?

Hope it ain't all gibberish :-) Thanks in advance.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5044 posts 15475 karma points MVP admin hq
    May 15, 2010 @ 11:50
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Well in Umbraco, I would create a property on the my document type that takes advantage of one of the redirect properties. You could make the redirect property of the type content picker, that way, if it's filled then you would be redirected to the actual page that holds the content.

However, this does require manual work, not exactly something you'd want to explain to your editors. I do believe that there are very few legitimate reasons for wanting to do this. In my opinion, a path to a page should be the only path to that page. As you've already mentioned, SEO-wise this is also not a great idea, it will look like duplicate content to spiders.

• horsted 74 posts 136 karma points
    May 15, 2010 @ 13:23
    horsted

Hi Sebastiaan,

Thanks for your response and the useful link to your blogpost. Fortunately i'm also the editor, so no problem in that department. Like you point out (I very much agree) there are very few legitimate reasons for wanting to do this, but unfortunately I can't find a better solution for this particualar problem...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft