Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    May 24, 2010 @ 15:44
    Lee Kelleher

Delete member with same loginname

Hi all,

Having trouble trying to figure out if I've found a bug when deleting a member in the Members section, here's the scenario:

Umbraco (v4.0.4.1 upgraded), that allows member registration on the front-end, (using the native Umbraco Membership Provider). Had a couple of situations where we had multiple members with the same name, not entirely sure how this happened as I did put code/logic in place to try to prevent that, (there's probably a bug, but that's a side issue here).

In the back-office Members section, if I expand the Member tree, right click on a member to Delete the duplicate member (with the same name), then the original member is deleted.

I do think there is a bug with the "nodeID" set for the member in the tree (from looking at the core code, it is set to the loginName).

So 2 things here:

1. Does anyone else think it's a bug in Umbraco? (I'll raise it on CodePlex if so)

2. If it's not a "bug", then how is it possible to have multiple members with the same name / loginName in the back-office?

Don't believe me? Try it out ... go create a few members with the same name in the back-office - keep a note of the node id, then try to delete one of them.

Thanks, Lee.

• Chris Dunn 210 posts 401 karma points
    May 24, 2010 @ 16:08
    Chris Dunn

Lee,

I am seeing the same thing in 4.0.3.  To duplicate on the back end side, create two members with different names, and logins.  Then go back and change one of them to match the other's login, otherwise you will hit an error when trying to create 2 identical members.  But updating them to be identical works fine.  Then delete the second and refresh the tree.  The first will be gone.

Good catch Lee.

-Chris

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    May 24, 2010 @ 16:16
    Lee Kelleher

Thanks Chris.

Weird thing is that I can reproduce this on the back-end' creating 2 members with the same name and email address! From looking at the core code it shouldn't happen... but it does, very weird!

- Lee

• Chris Dunn 210 posts 401 karma points
    May 24, 2010 @ 16:46
    Chris Dunn

Lee,

Must be a change in 4.0.4.1 which allows duplicate members straight out on the back end.  When I "create" duplicate members with the same name I get.

'Duplicate User name! A member with the user name [name] already exists'.

When updating it doesn't check for duplicates, but when creating it does.  At least from the UI, haven't checked the code yet.

-Chris

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft