Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan 1285 posts 3917 karma points c-trib
    May 27, 2010 @ 11:22
    Dan

Repeated functionality without duplicating content?

Hi,

I have a potential project which I'm wondering how to tackle with Umbraco.  Basically it's a service along the same lines as Basecamp, where a user signs up and gets their own URL as their username (http://www.example.com/myusername).  They can then invite sub-users to log in at this address with their own username/passwords to access information about their account.

I'm only at the begining of this, so there's a lot of thought to go into it just yet, but I wondered how the best way to tackle this would be.  I would need to place something into the master account creation sign-up event which creates a new node or a new database record for that user, but it would be quite inefficient to have to duplicate all of the pages/functionality into each node every time a master account is added.  Is there a neater way to do this which can create the custom URLs from usernames but not have to duplicate the content physically into each node, or are we talking waaaaay complex there?

Thanks for any pointers...

• Marc Aarts 14 posts 35 karma points
    May 27, 2010 @ 11:31
    Marc Aarts

Would URL rewriting be a possible solution here?

You'd probably have to add a level in your url (example.com/users/myusername) so you can target URL rewriting at that specific section, and then you can pass the username as a parameter to the pages you want to use and not want to repeat.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft