Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Owen Blacker 19 posts 92 karma points
    Jun 08, 2020 @ 09:16
    Owen Blacker

Huge cache folder inside App_Data

We're running Umbraco v7.14, and our App_Data cache just keeps growing up use all the space on the drive.

I'm using a script to delete all the files within and they're all image files (mainly .jpg) but in the half-hour the script has been running so far, it's deleted 40 GB of files. By comparison, the whole /media folder for that site is just over 2 GB.

I thought it was ImageProcessor maybe taking up lots of space, as there are several threads about that on these Forums (examples: 1, 2, 3) but I updated to the latest versions a couple of weeks or so ago (ImageProcessor.dll v2.9.0.207 and ImageProcessor.Web.dll v4.12.0.206, released in April 2020) and that doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Anyone got any ideas on how I could debug and solve this?

Thanks!

Edited to add: It was over 170 GB of space freed up by emptying the cache.

• Owen Blacker 19 posts 92 karma points
    Jun 08, 2020 @ 11:49
    Owen Blacker

I've just spotted that the IIS_IUSRs group had Modify access but not Full Control to App_Data, which might be the answer. I've fixed that and will see if it makes the problem go away…

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jun 08, 2020 @ 21:03
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Owen,

It looks like really an issue with ImageProcessor, can you check /config/imageprocessor config files? Maybe you have so many image crops on pages?

Thanks, Alex

• Thomas Rydeen Skyldahl 47 posts 229 karma points
    Jun 09, 2020 @ 07:48
    Thomas Rydeen Skyldahl

Do you use dynamic sizing of images based on screen/browser window sizes?

Because that can give a lot of different sizes, of the same image.

it can also be somebody trying to bring down your server by brute-force generating lots of different image sizes, or if you enabled upscaling they can request bigger sizes ex: 5000x5000 images.

if the last is the case you can switch to only allowing templates to be used in the Image Processor configuration.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft