Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• North Krimsly 59 posts 80 karma points
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 18:40
    North Krimsly

Umbraco control panel not loading properly - jquery is not defined

Greetings all,

I'm getting strange errors after logging into the Umbraco 4.5 admin page, which are preventing me from using the Umbraco control panel.  When I look at the Chrome Developer Tools window, I see two types of errors: 1) "JQuery is not defined" in umbraco.aspx, and 2) 404 Not Found when loading script resources like /umbraco/DependencyHandler.axd?s=a_bunch_of_characters_here.

This is messing up the Umbraco control panel, making it unusable.  What I've changed recently is that I added a custom 404 page, which updated the web.config.  This was working but that's when I noticed the messed up Umbraco control panel.  So I turned off the custom 404 page and reverted the web.config but am still unable to use the control panel.  Here is a screen shot below.  The site still works but the Umbraco control panel doesn't. Please help!

I'm wondering if the DependencyHandler.axd loads script resources, and if so does the URL it points to not exist anymore because it was cached and then it changed when I updated the web.config?  If so, how could I regenerate those script resource URLs?

Thanks,

NorthK

• Jeff Grine 149 posts 189 karma points
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 19:56
    Jeff Grine

Have you tried refreshing ClientDependency by incrementing the version number in ClientDependency.config?

Oct 27, 2010 @ 20:01
    North Krimsly

Hi Jeff,

I tried that just now, and it didn't have any effect unfortunately. I'm still getting the same errors.  Any other ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks,

-NorthK

Oct 27, 2010 @ 20:06
    Jeff Grine

If you're getting a 404 on dependencyHandler.axd, then you've likely got something messed up in the web.config. Do you have this line in httpHandlers(or the IIS7 equivalent):

<add verb="*" path="DependencyHandler.axd" type="ClientDependency.Core.CompositeFiles.CompositeDependencyHandler, ClientDependency.Core " />

Oct 27, 2010 @ 20:19
    North Krimsly

Hi Jeff,

Yes, the web.config has that line in there.  I think the 404 not found error is not for DependencyHandler.axd itself, but it is for the resource at the URL that DependencyHandler is trying to load.  I think what I need is to clear the cache for everything so those URL's will get rebuilt.  But, I'm not sure how to do that.  I've deleted the ClientDependency folder as well as increasing the version number in ClientDependency.config, to no avail. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

NorthK

Oct 27, 2010 @ 20:25
    Jeff Grine

That's really all I've got for ideas. Did the files in the ClientDependency folder get recreated after updating the version?

Oct 27, 2010 @ 21:25
    North Krimsly

Hi Jeff.

No, the ClientDependency folder did not get recreated after updating the version.

-NorthK

Oct 27, 2010 @ 21:46
    Jeff Grine

Definitely something wrong there. I did notice the folder was moved from App_Data to App_Data/TEMP (check compositeFilePath in the config). Are you looking in the temp folder?

Oct 27, 2010 @ 22:25
    North Krimsly

I tried deleting the App_Data/TEMP/ClientDependency folder (which had a lot of stuff in it) but that didn't help.  What did help is changing <compilation debug="true"> in web.config.  That made all the errors go away. I logged in to the Umbraco control panel and republished the entire site.  

However, when I change <compilation debug="false"> again, there is still one error related to not finding JQuery-- same problem as before with DependencyHandler.axd not finding the JQuery resource.  Before there were four of these errors and now there is just one.  I think I still need to do something to rebuild the last URL that is bad.

Oct 28, 2010 @ 20:16
    North Krimsly

I apologize, it turns out that my web.config was totally screwed up and this is what caused the problem.  Setting up a custom 404 page was done through my hosting company's control panel, which heavily modified my web.config in ways I did not anticipate.  Once I corrected the web.config line by line, all was well.

Thanks,

-NorthK

• Dallas 132 posts 404 karma points
    Nov 13, 2010 @ 12:12
    Dallas

Hi

I am experience the same symptoms you were when installing Umbraco 4.5.2 (.net 4.0) on a shared host (Softsys). The host has configured the site to run in full trust and is not running as a virtual directory. There are no custom errors defined through the hosts control panel.

An error is occurring with ClientDependency and jquery is not loaded so the backoffice UI does not work. Unfortunately I am not able to see the error because even when I set customErrors to off in my web.config I am still getting the RemoteOnly page and the advice to set the mode attribute to off.

There are no errors if I set debug to true in the compilation element.

how was your config file being screwed up?

• Dallas 132 posts 404 karma points
    Nov 13, 2010 @ 14:04
    Dallas

It turns out that my problem was not being caused by the web.config file.  It was because I did not have write permission on the app_data directory where clientdependency writes the cached script and style files

I gave a more detailed description here.

Nov 14, 2010 @ 04:56
    North Krimsly

Hi Dallas,

Glad you figured it out.  My web.config had entire sections removed by the SoftSys control panel, when I used the control panel's feature to add a 404 page.  These sections were needed for Umbraco to work.  I think that SoftSys didn't believe me :) But I was able to reproduce the problem twice.  I finally solved it by working with SoftSys support to manually construct the portion of the web.config that needed to be changed for 404's to work, but not using the control panel.

• Thang Cao 4 posts 24 karma points
    Apr 18, 2011 @ 18:37
    Thang Cao

I have the same issue after changing our site to another server and this link is useful : http://clientdependency.codeplex.com/documentation

• Nikola Petkovic 64 posts 63 karma points
    Sep 20, 2012 @ 11:21
    Nikola Petkovic

I know the thread is quite old, but I faced the same problem when switched my site to IIS7 and integrated pipeline, and found this solution:

in config/ClientDependency.config change

<compositeFiles defaultProvider="CompositeFileProcessor" compositeFileHandlerPath="DependencyHandler.axd">

to 

<compositeFiles defaultProvider="CompositeFileProcessor" compositeFileHandlerPath="/DependencyHandler.axd">

umbraco made requests to www.yoursite.com/umbraco/ClientDependency.axd?... and returned 404

Instead, it has to request www.yoursite.com/ClientDependency.axd?... in order to work properly

• Jordan Lane 28 posts 130 karma points c-trib
    Feb 02, 2015 @ 18:56
    Jordan Lane

I also had this problem but it turned out to be the app pool was set to .NET 4 instead of 2 and also required a classic pipeline.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft