Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• atze187 160 posts 215 karma points
    Jun 24, 2009 @ 16:08
    atze187

Translating content

Hi,

i've just played around with umbraco's built-in support for managing content translation and wondered if there is anything, that makes the translators work comfortable, so he doesn't has to mess up with downloading/uploading xml files. I guess there is something i haven't spotted yet. I can accept that i have to create a copy of the page (since i'm not having a full 1:1 version in the second language) and update the links within the content, but dealing with raw xml files sounds like .... ummmm ... don't know, this sounds too weird to believe...

Cheers,
    André

• atze187 160 posts 215 karma points
    Jun 24, 2009 @ 16:25
    atze187

After reading my post, i came to my mind, that, since i copy the pages, you can forget my complaints about the xml files (which nevertheless is a very strange concept in my opinion). But is there way to let the translator know, that there are new pages to translate within this tree section (one root for german, one for english, so his tree section is the english one)?

• Torben Warberg Rohde 35 posts 89 karma points
    Jul 28, 2009 @ 12:12
    Torben Warberg Rohde

As Rik and Tim also concludes in this post the translation part of Umbraco could use some work on the way the input/output part (all the mechanisms for queueing work for the translater etc. are great).

Most of the translation work that I've been involved in has consisted of sending an Excel-file to an external company, and then importing the result once we get it back from them (i.e. we never give them access to the "main system").

HTML-markup
    If the page is fairly simple without to many tables and such, I think most translators can be told to change the text only, and leave the markup alone, so this is not a big issue (and not one that I have a solution for anyway :o)

Wrapping the XML-based up/download
    The basic mechanism of up and downloading a XML-file seems ok imo. If it was just possible to transform the XML to e.g. an Excel file, and then back to XML, we would have come a long way. To begin with this could just be an external tool.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft