Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Allan49 35 posts 55 karma points
    Nov 01, 2011 @ 19:17
    Allan49

Umbraco Media doesnt show the files that are directly copied into ~media folder

Hi,

When I use FTP to upload files into the “~/media” folder, I can’t see them in the Admin->Media tab.

Is there any way to make Umbraco’s media for ftp friendly?

I know I can use MediaUploader, but I need to find a way to directly ftp media files and manage them in the Admin->Media tab or insert them in TinMCE rich text editor.

Thank you,

• tentonipete 78 posts 223 karma points
    Nov 01, 2011 @ 21:53
    tentonipete

You might have problems doing that because each file needs to have the a corresponding stub created in the database with details like title and location.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 01, 2011 @ 22:10
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Allan

As tentonipete points out you can't ftp the files into the media folder and then access them through Umbraco.

Is there any particular reason why you need to use FTP instead of DMU to handle this?

/Jan

• Allan49 35 posts 55 karma points
    Nov 01, 2011 @ 23:48
    Allan49

Hi Jan,

URL predictability is the main reason.

DMU put Medias in random folder number. That becomes even more challenging when you need to have a url to a media in a template master pages.

Do you know of any project that provides this feature?

Thank you,

• tentonipete 78 posts 223 karma points
    Nov 02, 2011 @ 00:08
    tentonipete

The numbers correspond to the nodeId which the media is assigned to hold the associated data mentioned above.

If you are using images directly in a template master page i would suggest you store those images separately and have a folder somewhere within the webroot where you can control the path rather than using the media library. The media library is meant more for content purposes.

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Nov 02, 2011 @ 01:10
    Tom Fulton

Agreed - your media section should only store "content" images - images that can be picked by your content editors - you shouldn't need to know the path of these since you get them from your macros/templates/etc based on the picked media id.

Any images used by your css, templates, etc, should be stored on disk outside the media section, such as in /images/ or /assets/

-Tom

• Maulik Dhaduk 15 posts 135 karma points
    Aug 18, 2022 @ 12:20
    Maulik Dhaduk

I am using Azure App service that provide FTP server by default for storage and code deploy. I am also facing same issue. Can you please help me?

https://our.umbraco.com/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/109773-images-are-not-displaying#comment-340275

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft